Friday, January 8, 2016

Pav Bhaji Recipe

     Pav Bhaji - I love it !! More than just the taste, it carries special and specific reasons too... The memory associated with a good pav bhaji dates back to my office days in TCS Chennai :) 
     I would be in a hurry to board the 5.45 bus back from office. On my way, when I see through the glass doors of HSB - Hotel Saravana Bhavan inside my office campus, I would be so tempted to step in and have a bite of the king of chat - Pav Bhaji. 
     Even with my watch grinning at me showing 5.15 pm, I would ignore the time; step-in and get a bill for pav bhaji. It would be 5.20 by the time I wade through the sea of restless hands in the crowd at the chaat counter and give the bill to the fellows who prepare my delicious chaat. Restlessly I would be waiting looking at my mocking watch every 10 secs, as the chaatwala heats the bhaji, chops onions, toasts the pav, arranges the onions and lemon in a plate, then puts a laddleful of bhaji on to every plate and finally hands over to the waiting crowd (which inlcused me too !! ). The time would now be 5.32 and needless to say I would be in a state of tensed joy after receiving mine.
      I would call my friend (!!) at the bus to hold a place for me :P Gobbling the pav bhaji without even looking around and taking a moment to breathe, I would start from HSB by 5.40 pm. By then the buses would be ready for their take-off.
      If Usain Bolt were to run along with me to catch the bus, I would run past him :D and reach the bus just in time. Then comes the tricky part. I have to identify which bus to board. As I would be on call with my FRIEND (Little did I know then, that on one fine day we would join hands for a life-time of togetherness and friendship) he would come out and stand near the steps for my easy identification of the bus. Panting breathlessly and with a dry throat not allowing me to speak for a good 5 mins, I would get into the bus crossing the weird glances of the bus driver and notorious co-passengers !!

Prep Time: 20 mins || Cook Time: 25 mins + 15 mins (for cooking potato) || Serves: 4 || Category: Side-dish/Subzi, Chaat

Ingredients:


1. Oil - 2 tbsp

2. Onion - 1 big
3. Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
4. Tomato - 1 big (de-seeded) 
5. Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
6. Capsicum - 1 big
7. Beans - 10 to 15
8. Carrot - 3 medium
9. Potato - 2 big (boiled and mashed)
10. Green peas - handful
11. Salt - as required
12. Pav Bhaji masala - 1 tbsp 
13. Sugar - 1 tsp (optional)
14. Butter - 1 tbsp
15. Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp finely chopped

Method:
1. Add oil in a pan and saute the onions till they are translucent. Add ginger garlic paste, tomato, turmeric powder and saute for 2 mins. Keep covered for a few mins until the tomatoes have got cooked well.
2. Then add capsicum, beans, carrot and cook for about 5 mins. Cook covered until the vegetables are cooked. 
3. Now add boiled and mashed potato, green peas and add sufficient water to get the desired consistency of the bhaji. Add salt and cook covered for 2 mins. 

4. Add the pav bhaji masala, sugar and required amount of salt and mix well. Add a tbsp of butter and cook until it melts and switch off the flame. Lastly add finely chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame. Bhaji is ready !!
5. Now heat butter in a tawa and toast the half slit pav buns on both the sides until golden brown.

Suggestions:

  • Using potato equivalent to the quantity of all other vegetables gives a perfect consistency to the bhaji.
  • All vegetables should be finely chopped.
  • Addition of sugar is optional.

Enjoy the yummilicious combo of hot Bhaji & toasted pav with finely chopped onion and lemon wedge.

No comments:

Post a Comment