Monday, July 6, 2015

Broccoli Pasta


     Always I get turned on when I see Broccoli at the supermarket, fighting with my temptation to buy one. I long for it due to its rich Vitamin C, dietary fiber, nutrient value and anti-cancer properties. But the sad part is that none of us at home like its taste. That being said, it becomes evident that whenever I buy Broccoli, it lies in the fridge untouched for atleast 3-4 days, before I make up my mind to prepare something with it :D
     Only when it is cooked in a fancy dish, people consume it (that includes me :P too) !!!  So, I tried to pair it up with pasta this time :) for breakfast.

Prep Time: 10 mins || Cook Time: 25 mins || Serves: 2 ||  Category: Breakfast
Ingredients:
1. Pasta (any variety) - 200gm
2. Broccoli florets - 150 gm
3. Carrot - 1 small
4. Lemon -1
5. Oregano (any italian herb/seasoning) - 2 tsp
6. Salt - as required
7. Olive oil - 1 tbsp

Method:
1. Wash the pasta and cook as per the package instructions. Add a little salt & few          drops of olive oil in the water while cooking the pasta. After about 5-7 mins drain        the water from pasta and set aside.
2. Cut broccoli into small florets and further chop them finely as desired. Wash and         drain the broccoli and cook in boiling water until soft or for 4-5 mins.
3. Grate the outer skin of a lemon and gather some lemon zest. Finely chop a small         carrot.      In a pan, heat olive oil and add oregano.
4. Then add the carrots and then the cooked broccoli and give a quick stir. Saute for 2     mins    & then add the cooked pasta, salt and lemon zest. Stir well and switch off         after a min. Cool    this down for about 2 mins and add lemon juice and mix well.

Suggestions:
  • Can use any variety of pasta. I have used fettuccine here.
  • Chilli flakes and coarsely crushed white pepper can be added, to make it more hot and spicy.
  • If olive oil is not available, any other vegetable oil can be used.


No comments:

Post a Comment