Saturday, June 13, 2015

Urad Dal Chutney



      At the time when I was so much craving for a chutney for Dosa, I realized that there were no onions; was running out of tomatoes & also green chilly :D Actually speaking, there were no proper ingredients for any conventional coconut chutney / coriander/onion/ tomato chutneys.  Unable to get off my Chutney mania, as the dosas were so good, I was thinking of a possibility with the available ingredients..
     So, I had to yield to this simple Chutney with roasted Urad dal. Though I have tasted only a tangy version of this as Urad dal thogayal, I decided to test it out as a chutney, with no other option left out :P

Prep Time: 10 mins || Cook Time: 5 mins || Serves: 3 ||  CategoryChutney/Side-dish  

Ingredients:

1. Urad dal - 2 tbsp
2. Dry red chillies - 3 or 4
3. Grated coconut - 4 tbsp
4. Oil - 2tbsp
5. Tamarind - as required
6. Asafoetida - a pinch
7. Salt - as required
8. Mustard seeds - 1tsp
9. Curry leaves -  a sprig

Method:

1. Heat a pan with a tbsp of oil and roast the urad dal & red chillies till golden brown & cool down for 2-3 mins.
2. Transfer the roasted ingredients to a mixie jar and grind along with salt, asafoetida & tamarind (I used a little readymade tamarind pulp instead of the normal tamarind). Temper with mustard and curry leaves in hot oil.


      A simple mild chutney apt for dosa/idli is ready. 


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally a chutney that reminded me of my grandmother.. thank you so much for this recipe, tasted so authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally a chutney that reminded me of my grandmother.. thank you so much for this recipe, tasted so authentic.

    ReplyDelete